Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday, Monday

Ah, Monday.

Here we are, two weeks away from traveling and performing. Great things happened last week, including fantastic progress on Gaude Virgo and the smaller ensemble pieces. Near the beginning of this project, I discovered a wonderful resource that I am just now getting around to sharing.

The people over at The Josquin Research Project have compiled an AMAZING database of works by Josquin and others of his time, digitized them, and made them available here.

This has been extremely handy for a quick check against the NJE for ficta and pitch issues as well as notational discrepancies. Since many of our editions have either come from cpdl or were created by me, this database has been a very useful tool!

I'm thinking this week of having the ensemble do some broad listening of Josquin. So far, they have been doing very specific "deep" listening of the pieces they are singing. It might be time for a new approach, especially since I believe it is part of building knowledge of a composer's compositional language. I look forward to their insights!!

No comments:

Post a Comment