Friday, February 1, 2013

Ancient A Cappella

Just got back from our second full ensemble rehearsal and I just have to say that this group is such a hilarious and fun bunch of singers! And SMART. We worked through the Ave Maria, reviewing things from our first rehearsal and fine tuning timing and rhythm. The edition I chose off of CPDL is good for the notation with its use of breves and a lack of real bar lines, but sometimes the spacing is slightly off within each measure. We're discovering the importance of good rhythmic spacing and having to work a little harder to decipher the rhythm when looking at all four parts at once. It isn't the end of the world, of course, but good to note for the next time I pull out this edition. As we move forward with the piece, our goals will be for each person to expand his/her awareness of their part within the whole and to communicate as an ensemble through body language, eye contact, and phrasing. I also stressed the importance of putting vertical lines in the score where there are rhythmic...um...oddities.

We did all sorts of hilarious things today to help rhythm and pulse. They might not be early music movement approved, but we had a great time. I tried to capture of a video of us acabopping (I am probably spelling that wrong...) in the awesome syncopated parts of this piece, but failed to capture the hilarity (and effectiveness) of the moment. This time. I also may have invoked the spirit of Beyoncé. I think Josquin would have approved.

After working through most of the Ave, we stopped to listen to this recording of the amazing Gaude virgo, and Amanda had to slip off to French class. Kind of appropriate, no?

I'll leave you with a thirty second clip of the triple section in the Ave. This is an excellent beginning to beautiful music making. There are obviously things to work through, but the ease with which these singers are adopting style and musicality in this music is amazing to me. I will email the group our recording of the run through for reflection before our next full rehearsal and look forward to meeting the quartet for chanson work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment